Esperanza High School

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
CA DOE Gold Ribbon School US News Best High Schools Silver 2015
Aztec Engineering Academy Medical Sciences Academy

External Courses

External Course Application Process  


EXTERNAL COURSE CREDIT: A maximum of 20 credits of coursework will be accepted from external institutions. Courses may be used for acceleration, advancement, or elective credit, but cannot be used for original credit core courses required for a high school diploma.

BEFORE enrolling in the course, student must turn in application & all required documentation for approval. These courses are fee-based and generally cost $200-$400 per semester. PYLUSD is not responsible for any part of those fees.


Step 1: Finding an Institution

  • Click this A-G Course List & select an accredited institution of your choice
  • Once you’ve chosen an institution, click on their link & print the following 2 documents
    • Page 1 - showing institution details, including UC/CSU approval
    • Page 2 - The page that lists the course you are taking
  • Move on to Step 2
  • NCAA Eligibility Only: Complete the following NCAA Eligibility steps if you’re taking the course to meet NCAA eligibility requirements
    • Go to: → High School Administrators → List of NCAA Courses
    • Enter the CEEB/ACT Code for the institution you chose
    • Print & attach the following 2 documents:
      • The page showing that the institution meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation
      • The page that lists the course you are taking

 Step 2: Application

  • Print & complete “External Course Application” from the link.

 Step 3: Approval & Registration

  • Turn in application & all documentation to your counselor for approval
  • Once approved, register with provider you chose & pay any applicable fees
  • After completing the course, have the provider send official transcripts to: EHS, Counseling Office

Online Providers

Most Popular:


Alternate Options:


Community College courses:

Step 1: Check the schedule at the college you plan to enroll in to see that they are offering the class you are looking for.


Step 2: Download the college forms, fill them out and turn them in to the community college.


You can chose to keep credits for college units only or if you want it listed on your high school transcript, turn in the external course application to the College & Career Center:


*Once you complete course, you must order official transcript from college and have it sent to EHS if you are putting it on your high school transcript.


Please note:

  • The University of California (UC) does not allow online courses in laboratory science and visual / performing arts to satisfy entrance requirements. Also, online classes that meet NCAA are limited.
  • Disclaimer: The Counseling Department provides this list as a service to students and parents. It is used for informational purposes only. We cannot endorse any outside program or verify qualifications or appropriateness of any online provider.