Counseling » F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

How do I send an official transcript?
If you would like to send it electronically you can do so through Parchment. Visit to complete the request, and your transcript will automatically be sent. This costs $5 per transcript but ensures that the colleges will receive your transcript immediately.
What is the difference between an official and unofficial transcript?
Unofficial transcripts can be printed out through your Aeries account. These are generally for your use and are not accepted by colleges. Official transcripts are stamped, signed, and sealed in an envelope. Official transcripts are usually sent directly to the college electronically and not given to a student to hand carry.
How do I get help with my UC application?
For General Application Questions
If you have a question about the application process that is NOT technical, or if you have a question after you submit your application, call the application processing service, during normal business hours, at:
In California: (800) 523-2048
Outside California: (925) 808-2181
For Technical Questions
If you are having technical difficulties completing your application, call the help desk at:
In California: (800) 914-8820 (in California)
Outside California: (925) 808-2150
Technical phone hours are listed below:

What is Independent PE and how do I qualify for it?
Independent PE can take the place of your 9th and/or 10th grade PE requirement. You must fill out an application to see if you qualify. Applications are available in the Counseling Office. Qualifications vary by sport, but require participation at a National level. If you qualify this will give you credits and take the place of your PE class in your schedule. You may only earn 20 credits in Independent PE.
What should I do if I plan on playing Division I or Division II sports?
You should visit the NCAA Eligibility Center right away at to get a list of the required courses for eligibility and the eligibility index. This will help you determine which courses to take and what grades you need to receive to be eligible. You must officially register with the Eligibility Center in your junior year.
I need my easiest class to be 5th period because I play sports and regularly miss that class. Can you give me my easiest class that period?
We would love to honor all student requests, but due to the large number of students participating in sports and other extracurricular activities, we cannot honor this request. Please work closely with your 5th period teacher to find out what you will miss and what you need to do to stay caught up in class.
Is it better to take the SAT or the ACT?
Most colleges accept either test, so it is best to take the one that best suits your abilities. The tests are different in their subject matter, format, and scoring. One strategy is to take each test, and then repeat the one you perform better on. You can visit their websites to get additional information;  for SAT and for ACT.  Good Luck!
How can I prepare for the SAT or ACT?
The official PSAT-NMSQT is intended for college-bound juniors, and given at Esperanza every year on the third Saturday in October. Most students sign up and pay for the PSAT-NMSQT during registration.  The cost is $35.  You can find more information on each exam and Test Prep Programs to help you prepare on the SAT/ACT section of the Counseling page of our website.
Where can I find more information about the SAT and ACT?
Visit for SAT information, and, for ACT information. Information can also be found on our website.
Can I take a college class while in high school? How do I do this?
Yes, you may take colleges classes, however, you will not receive high school credit for them (with the exception of our CollegeLink courses through Fullerton College). College courses are a great opportunity to start earning college credit now, or to fulfill a college entrance requirement that you may not be able to fit into your high school schedule (i.e. Fine Arts). Visit the college’s website to get the paperwork for high school students taking college courses. Bring the forms to your counselor for the required signature.
What is CollegeLink?
CollegeLink is a program offered to all PYLUSD high school students through Fullerton College. Students have the opportunity to earn FREE college credit. Not only are the college credits transferable to UCs and CSUs, but students who choose to return to Fullerton College after high school are considered returning students and are given priority registration over new students. These classes take place on our PYLUSD high school campuses each semester. There are a limited number of classes offered, so check with the College and Career Center to see what classes are starting on our campuses.
Can I take online courses for high school credit? How do I do this?
You may take up to 20 credits toward graduation through online courses. You may take academic core courses for remediation only. Elective courses and courses needed due to an impacted schedule can be taken for original credit. Online courses must be taken through an accredited online provider. You will find the External Course Application on our Counseling website. You must fill this application out completely and bring it to your counselor with all required documentation prior to enrolling in the course. These courses generally cost $200-$400 and you are responsible for all costs involved.
How do I get into AP or Honors courses?
Honors/AP criteria vary by subject. Please see your counselor for the specific criteria for the course you are interested in. If you meet the criteria, you will be allowed to take the class. If not, you may challenge one course per year. Please see your counselor for a waiver form. The waiver form must be completed and improved prior to the start of the school year.
How do I get a zero period?
Zero period courses are extremely limited and priority is given to those students with an impacted schedule. Please see your counselor for more information.
How can I drop a class?
In order to drop a class or request a level change, you must meet with your counselor. Be sure to complete a Level Change or Class Drop Approval Form found in the counseling office or at the bottom of this page. 
How can I join an EHS athletic team?
If you'd like to join one of our many sports teams on campus, you will need to complete the Athletic Checklist Form and get all required signatures. You can find the form in the counseling office or at the bottom of this page. Adding a sport to your schedule is considered an official schedule change, so you will have to meet with your counselor in order to do that. 
How can I register to vote?
You can vote if you are:
  • At least 18 years old
  • A US citizen
  • Not currently incarcerated or on parole
  • Not currently found to be mentally incompetent. 
You don't have to wait until you are 18 to register to vote. You can pre-register to vote at the age of 16 or 17, so you are ready to vote the day you turn 18.
Click HERE for more information about registering and pre-registering to vote.
And click HERE for the online voter pre-registration and registration application page.