Esperanza High School

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
CA DOE Gold Ribbon School US News Best High Schools Silver 2015
Aztec Engineering Academy Medical Sciences Academy

Applying to Private/Out of State Colleges

NYC has created a very helpful video on using the Common App.
Click the link below to watch the tutorial. 

Common App Tutorial by NYC


Applying to private and out-of-state colleges and universities

Common App


These schools vary in their application procedures and deadlines. Please visit the college website for further information. Most private schools require letters of recommendation and other forms to be completed by teachers and/or counselors. Please organize your paperwork and give your teacher or counselor a minimum of 2 work weeks to complete them. If you ask less than 2 weeks in advance, you are not guaranteed to get a letter of recommendation. Most private schools also require essays or personal statements. The questions vary from school to school, but the strategies for the UC Personal Statement listed below will help you compose your private school essays as well.

Out of State FAQs
Many of the western states participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange or W.U.E., where qualifying students from California can study in another participating public college or university for 150% of in-state tuition. A great example is Northern Arizona University, which charges approximately $12,000 ($8000 X 1.5) in tuition for those coming from one of the W.U.E. states. Visit for more information. More…

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) FAQs
WUE (pronounced “woo-wee”) is the Western Undergraduate Exchange, and it is coordinated by WICHE. WUE is a regional tuition-reciprocity agreement that enables students from WICHE states to enroll in some 145 participating two- and four-year public institutions at 150 percent of the enrolling institution’s resident tuition. WUE is the largest program of its kind in the nation, and has been in operation since 1987! WUE is not a short term exchange—it is meant to be used for a full degree. More..

Which States and U.S. Territories Participate?

Resident students from the following states and U.S. Territories may participate, if they meet eligibility requirements:



New Mexico




North Dakota








South Dakota

Commonwealth of the N. Mariana Islands

Education in Canada
So you want to study in Canada, but you need just a few more facts before committing to the full experience? Here are a few of the many reasons why others have chosen Canada for their study abroad experience. More…

Study in the U.K. – England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales
Gain a world-class education: UK higher education offers you inspiring teaching, excellent facilities and a world-class research environment. Did you know that… More…


For more Out of State College Info: Click here! 

For more Western Undergraduate Exchange: Click here!