Welcome to the 2019-20 school year. We are thrilled to have you and your student(s) as a part of our Aztec family. We value parents as partners in education, and we look forward to working together in the coming year. Our goal at Esperanza is to focus on the whole child, providing your student an excellent high school experience in all aspects of their education, including academics, athletics, arts, and activities. We also believe student wellness is extremely important and continue to dedicate staff and other resources to offer a comprehensive wellness program for our students. We strive to create belonging spaces by offering a wide range of opportunities for students to get connected to school and experience Aztec PRIDE. Our mission is to build a better future by guiding students to be Positive, Responsible, Innovative, Determined and Engaged citizens, honoring our tradition of excellence that has spanned over the past 45 years.
You will see quite a few new faces around campus year. We are excited to welcome the following staff members to our team.
- Vanessa Szabo - Athletic Clerk
- Kim Murphy - Attendance Clerk
- Cheyenne Beever - College & Career Technician
- Ivan Acosta - Air Force JROTC Teacher
- Willis Cole - Math Teacher
- Matt Mason - Special Education Teacher
- Valerie Steinbergs - Special Education Teacher
- Mary Khashi - Special Education Teacher
- Aracely Elizondo - Spanish Teacher
- Wes Choate - World History Teacher/Attendance/Head Football Coach
- Danielle Sabia - Math Teacher
- Chad Holo - Intervention Classroom Teacher
- Lisa Williams - ELD Teacher
In addition, we are continuously working to improve the campus and facilities. Over the summer, the following projects were completed:
- Repainting of the bridge
- All external lighting replaced with brighter and more cost efficient LED lighting, with three additional light posts added to the quad
- Additional graphics (Main Campus entrance), West side of Main Gym (coming soon)
- New carpeting in 200 building
- Asphalt and concrete repair in quad and near student parking lot/Girl’s Locker Room
- Additional visitor parking spots added in the front of school
- E-cigarette and vape detectors on campus
We will continue with campus improvement projects throughout the school year, including completion of the EHS theater modernization.
We continue to make school safety a priority. We will be strategically adding additional security cameras to ensure all areas of campus are covered. In addition, we will be conducting a lockdown drill on September 10th so that all staff and students are up to speed on emergency response procedures from the start of the school year. We will have two additional lockdown/evacuation drills throughout the school year.
PTSA is dedicated to serving the staff and students of Esperanza High School through hospitality, teacher grants, expanding arts opportunities for students, encouraging community involvement, advocating for education, etc. They rely solely on memberships to fund their efforts. Please join PTSA and help make a difference. The cost to join is only $16. Membership envelopes are available in the EHS Front Office. You may also visit the PTSA page on the Esperanza website (additional $3 service charge for credit cards). A variety of spirit wear items are also available for purchase. Spirit wear will be delivered to students during school hours. Also, feel free to stop by a meeting if you are interested in knowing more. We meet the third Monday of every month at 7 pm in the Esperanza Library.
Finally, please note that the distribution of locators will be done differently this year. Because most students access their schedules digitally through AERIES, we will not be passing out paper locators on the first day of school. Beginning at 5 pm on Monday, August 26th, students will be able to access their class schedule on AERIES.Please have your student check AERIES for their schedule the evening before the first day of school. If they are unable to do so, we will have computers available in the College & Career Center beginning at 7:15 am on Tuesday, August 27th, the first day of school. Staff will be available to help your students locate their schedule, answer questions, and point them in the right direction. In addition, Link Crew leaders and ASB students will be circulating around campus to help students find their way.
Thank you for choosing Esperanza High School for your student(s). Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me should you have any questions or concerns at any time. I’m looking forward to another outstanding school year.